Wednesday, February 14, 2007

On Valentine's Day

I can't think of a better day than Valentine's Day to post about the bag of hearts that takes up the bottom shelf of my refrigerator. Romaine lettuce hearts.

This weekend all of the greens in the produce section looked brownish on their edges, and a pile of romaine hearts (6 to a bag) were being advertised as an in-store special at the low price of $2.99. I was surprised at how hefty the bag was when I grabbed it. What a fantastic deal!

Now that it is here in my fridge, descending along the path to eventual brown squishiness that my vegetables often follow, I am puzzled about what one can do with so much romaine. So far, I have been thankful that I have mistakenly double purchased caesar salad dressing -- one day I will learn to compose a shopping list -- and have a Costco-sized box (double bag enclosed) of croutons (pronounced crau-tons).

No comments: