Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's plumbing

My bathroom sink was draining very slowly, so yesterday I poured one-half bottle of liquid drain cleaner down the pipes. This cleared the clog, but it also caused a slow leak in the drain pipe below the sink. I believe that it caused a gasket seal to unseal or something. A trip to Home Depot, some plumber's putty, and a new gasket closed off this leak (though in addition to this shopping trip and all of these parts, it took over an hour of frustrating, slightly wet time to get this DIY project done). At the same time, I repaired the pop-up mechanism on the drain.

I had a plumbing problem with my kitchen sink on Thanksgiving 2005 with the drain getting clogged while preparing the dinner, and then replacing out the garbage disposal (which never worked from my move-in into the apartment) the following day. I never plan too much for the various holidays; however, home plumbing seems to be becoming an important part of how I celebrate.

No comments: