Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ryan's new music

Rufus Wainwright - Release the Stars. Big brassy horns, soaring strings, and vocal gymnastics that compete with Judy Garland's grand 'some-WHAAAAre...' leap in Over the Rainbow. If you love hearing this stuff on a full-length album, you're going to love Release. I find it an easier listen than Want Two, but still laugh when I read any of the reviews that suggest it is a mainstream album.

Feist - The Reminder. I didn't think that I like Feist. I was wrong. I must have been thinking of someone that is not Feist when I complained that she was too boring and depressing for my musical tastes.

Melinda Doolittle - American Idol. I was getting really bored of Melinda and thought that she had fallen into a rut that she couldn't reverse out of. Big talent, but too predictable - no excitement or shivers of any sort from her performances. Me wrong again. I only half-watched tonight's final three showdown, but what I did see showed me that Melinda has talent that stands head and shoulders above the mighty-good youngster, Jordan, and the slick and cool, but less vocally-gifted, Blake. After she wins the Idol crown, she may grab some dance waves if she does some showy Tina Turner-esque stuff. I may grab some of those remixes, but don't think that her full album will be a fanastic spin for me. Maybe a must-listen in the adult contemporary genre.

No comments: