Monday, April 2, 2007

It was green and it was loud

My ride home from UBC today was aboard one of Translink's evaluation buses. The one I was riding was painted green, so according to the colour coding it was a Hybrid Bus: Allison Transmission.

From my limited understanding of hybrid technology, the engine combines the efficiencies of an electric engine with a secondary traditional combustion engine. The two work in concert so that efficient, clean electric engine power is generated under regular less-demanding travel, and when extra power and propulsion are required, the gas burning engine kicks in. In addition, to maximize efficiencies, the electric side of the engine pulls and stores extra energy created by the combustion engine and energy generated by its braking system.

I can tell you that it is very noticeable when the diesel side of this hybrid engine kicks in. It is LOUD! I didn't have Custard along to cover some of the engine noise, so maybe I was extra sensitive to the noise; however, I did notice that other riders were covering their non-headpiece ear when they talked on their cells, so I wasn't the only one.

No comments: