Saturday, April 14, 2007

Balleh

I saw Ballet BC's presentation last night, entitled Legends of 20th Century Dance. The show consisted of four separate dances, which I made me react in severely different ways.

The four dances were:

Allegro Brillante - I enjoyed this short vignette immensely. A man, a woman, a piano, and several pages of sheet music. In a few scenes, showers of red confetti fell onto the dancers. This reminded me of one of the most beautiful scenes that I have seen on-stage, the cherry blossom showers during Madame Butterfly.

Baker's Dozen - Classic ballet.

Appalachian Spring - The centrepiece of the presentation. My knowledge and appreciation of dance is lacking, and my reaction to this dance probably makes that severely obvious. I thought it was a ridiculous combination of classic American folk-country music, costume, and set design with impossible body movement.

Inspiration - Fun, quirky dance. Ballet for Dummies maybe. Live piano performance, little stories of singles, couples, and groups in a contemporary setting (though the setting was a blank black canvas with white-costumed characters).

I like that living in Vancouver allows me to do a diverse range of activities. On a Hockey Night in Vancouver, having the choice to watch the playoffs and cheer for the home team or attend the ballet makes me appreciate living in a city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was two months ago already that we went to this show?!