Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ryan's Oscars picks

Last year, at an Oscars party hosted by Janet and Joe, I made selections for who I thought would take home a golden sworded man, and commited to these picks by writing them down. My efforts led me to winning (2nd place finish) a bottle of Pimm's (which then led me to discovering my summer drink for 2006).

I don't know if I will be invited to a party on Academy Awards night coming up or if I will even watch the awards show, but here are my picks for the big six awards:

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy. He can act without wearing a fat suit!

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson. First musicals-then films are not best pictures, but Eddie and J-Hud made it fun to watch and listen to.

Best Actor: Forest Whitaker. Haven't seen LKoS, but I've got to toss in a few of the unanimous front-runners for some categories.

Best Actress: Meryl Strep. Helen Mirren may be The Queen, but Meryl is the queen of Hollywood. I can't wait to see her on stage telling it like she sees it, not caring a bit that the music is playing over her acceptance speech, and biting off a final "That's all."

Best Director: Martin Scorsese. Haven't seen The Departed, but it has to be better than the crap piece GoNY that everyone said would finally win Marty an Oscar.

Best Picture: Babel. It's big and grand with interwoven stories. I watched it feeling completely tense throughout the entire film. I think that is what the Academy voters like and it will also allow the cameras to pan over to big smiles from Cate and Brad (gorgeous and gorgeous) when its win is announced. Secretly, I'm hoping that Little Miss Sunshine takes the big prize so I can see Abigail Breslin run onto stage and steal all of the highlight spots from Ellen.

No comments: