Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dine-Out Vancouver wrap-up

This year for Dine-Out Vancouver, I visited three restaurants that I have never been to before. The results of these dining experiences varied.

At Sunset Grill, I dined with Mike. I had the squash and granny smith apple soup, braised lamb shank, and bread pudding. The Sunset appears to be a great neighbourhood bar and I think that in that setting, good pub food is the stuff that should be served. Having the kitchen go beyond to serve up more delicate foods to a bar table was a mistake. However, at $15 for the three courses and being able to enjoy a good pint of beer, I can not complain.

Gastropod provided the biggest disappointment for me. After watching the restaurant's creation from my daily #84 bus ride and reading good buzz about the new kid, I was stoked to get there. I think that Alyssa and Andrew came with the same anticipation. The food (beef stew, chicken breast with couscous, and banana bread) was good, but it did not put my tastebuds into the riot that they wanted to be in. The servers were flat and grey, much like their restaurant uniforms. The interior design and decoration were nice, but the lights and traffic on West 4th Avenue are big distractions to compete against.

Tonight, the underdog of the line-up came out the winner. JJ's Fine Dining is located just off the crowded school hallways and cafeteria at Vancouver Community College. After you sit down, it is very easy to think you are dining in a hotel restaurant downtown. The service is friendly and professional - a few gaffes in promptness, but considering the situation, I chalked them up to nerves rather than intentionally poor behaviour from the staff, the food (for me, prawns with orange martini (?), rack of lamb, and caramelized banana tart) is beautifully presented and tasted great, and the dining area is pleasantly decorated and roomy. I think that my positive review will be shared by the entire dinner party tonight (Alice, Hazrah, Katina, MJ, and Brett). And to wrap up my description of this evening, happy birthday, Bobo!

No comments: