Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ryan's new music

I've purchased a bunch of CDs recently. Here are my reviews of them after just a few spins each so far.

Joanna Newsom - Ys. Grabbed my attention because of all the critical praise -- through the year and at year's end -- that it received. It is strange and beautiful.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black. Old jazz/soul sound from a young troublefinder. I think that she's lining herself up for big mass appeal.

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away. I was hoping for more happy, hoppy sounds from them. I got a few jumps, then a pleasant stroll.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? Yes! Stuff that makes indie kids pump their skinny arms in the arm in glee. Sounds good, looks good (fantastic packaging), and feels good on the bus when you think you're the only one cool enough to be listening to it on your iPod.

Other stuff that I am previewing or, by some other means than buying, is regularly catching my ears are Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder, Mika, Vienna Teng - Waking Hour or Warm Strangers, and Beyonce - Listen (single).

No comments: