Saturday, October 6, 2007

Day One, Part One: Shinjuku

Shinjuku is the new core of Tokyo. I started my day at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government towers. I was early for the 9:30 am opening time for the Tourist Information Centre and the observatory towers, so hung out and watched the hordes of business people in their business suits coming to work. Then I got a bird's eye view of the city from the 45th floor observatory. It wasn't a clear morning, but I got an idea of the sprall of the metropolis - this place is huge!




Then I was off to see what this city had at ground level. First Takashimaya Times Square, a huge shopping building. Bottom floor - all food, conveniently prepackaged for take-out. I couldn't find any seated eating areas, so instead took my tray of sushi outside for lunch.



The eastside of Shinjuku is a big shopping district including major department stores, hotels, restaurants, and crowds and crowds of people. The north side is Kabukicho, with more restaurants and entertainment businesses (bars, arcades, etc). Every store seems to have an employee outside to call you in. Every building appears to be covered in signs showing what's on ground, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th floor, and upwards. It's a sensory fill merely walking one street block. However, amongst this craziness are pockets of calm. A small walkway lined with lanterns leads you off the main street to Hanazono Shrine.




A little further south in the Nichome district, Tosio-ji Temple is nestled into a small streetway.


It was hot and humid, and it was only midday. To find a little shade and a little bit of calm, I checked out Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, one of the city's largest parks.



Next in Part Two: Shibuya - high fashion Tokyo

No comments: